Monday, February 6, 2012

10 Years

I FEEL SO OLD!  I'm sitting here watching Romy & Michele's High School Reunion and it reminded me of my upcoming 10 year high school reunion.  We are not attending the reunion because we are flying home in March (I'm not sure we would go even if we were in the states), but I still can't believe it's been 10 years since I graduated high school.

I think it's hard for anyone to believe they graduated 10 years ago when that time comes around for them, but I think it's even harder for me because people constantly think I'm much younger than I am.  They regularly believe I'm 21 or 22, when I'm actually turning 28 this May.  I tease Todd because I think some people think he robbed the cradle, or came to China to find a young bride. LOL.  Oh well, it will come in handy when I'm in my early 30's and still getting carded! : )

I think it would be fun to go back and be able to talk about traveling to China, Hong Kong, Thailand, and hopefully soon Korea and Japan.  I sometimes worry about what I'm going to do for the rest of my life in terms of career, but then I think about how lucky I am to be able to enjoy this time of my life and have these adventures with my husband.

Thinking about the reunion makes me think back to 2001/2002... my senior year of high school.  I try to think about what was popular then and what I thought then about where I would be now.  It's so funny!  These are some of the songs that were popular back then. Warning: The videos are very long!



It's crazy!  I still remember the words to practically all of these songs!  They make me remember senior year at Boyle, sitting at the "senior bench" at break (anyone who went to Boyle understands this), being a teacher's aid which meant basically having a free period with a teacher you have a cool relationship with to talk, do homework, or hang out, watching my football friends win yet another state championship, and more!

These are a few songs that made me laugh out loud or I'd forgotten about until I googled top songs from 2001 and 2002...












I'm really sorry for all of the videos but I can't believe how many songs I vividly remember from that time!

I also can't believe the big things that happened my senior year, the biggest of which was 9/11.  I remember walking into my English class and every classroom had a tiny television because we would watch this short, educational program every once in a while.  When I walked into the room, everyone was standing there staring at the TV and I saw the smoke coming from the towers.  The same year, the US began their invasion of Afghanistan, Apple released the iPod, there was the Anthrax attack, Michael Jackson was awarded the "Artist of the Century" award, the No Child Left Behind Act was signed into law, Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother died at 101 years old, and Tiger Woods won the Masters for the 2nd year in a row and the third time of his career.

It's amazing how quickly time flies and the things that happen.  And again, I feel SOOOO OLD! Thank goodness I'm asian and asians typically age well it seems.  I hope living in America all my life hasn't adversely affected me!  (Tony, should that be effected??  I can never remember that rule...)

Note: Tony is my father-in-law who is a professor and likes to critique my writing ; )

1 comment: